Sunday, August 21, 2016

A city at night - my next visualization project

It's been awhile since I've had the chance to blog or start on any new visualizations.  Got a new job which has been going well and finally settled in to a new routine.  I have a bunch of new projects I've been looking to start and I'm finally in a position to do so.

Vincet Laforet is an incredible aerial photographer.  I'm sure many of you have seen his works from the AIR project.  If you haven't, I've linked a few below.  Definitely check out his site where you can see many more images and order his book AIR or lithographs.  http://www.laforetvisuals.com/ 



The use of tilt shift is really great especially in his New York City shots.  I thought it would be really cool to have a music visualization which procedurally generates a city to music.  Various buildings would rise up with different shapes and architectural designs based on changes in the audio.

I'm also looking to explore compound actions and patterns in my visualizations.  This is something I've briefly scraped the surface of this concept in the past, but I've never fully gotten it to work or look great so hopefully I can get it to shine in this visualization.  The idea is to have different visuals react when certain thresholds are met, or when a more complex series of events and thresholds are met.  Music has so many layers and intricacies which can often be hard clearly visualize.  I'm looking to develop a more complex system of thresholds and events that can spawn additional unique visuals that in turn could spawn their own unique systems.  It's very similar to a fractal or an L-system.  Well, much more to come on all this.  Please check out Vincent's work and stay tuned for the visualization inspired by his work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Live Music Visuals: Galaxy v2.0 - Burning Bridges

Still working through Unity2019 and all the preview packages.  Trying to get some cool space stuff that reacts to music.  Second attempt h...